In all of our years as family dentistry in Rexburg, we have yet to come across someone who wouldn’t love to have whiter teeth. The good news is, is that getting and keeping your smile bright and white is simple! Whether you want to refresh your smile with an in-office whitening visit or do it at home with a kit from the dentist or naturally, there is something for you. Continue reading to learn more about how you can whiten your teeth both naturally and with the help of your Rexburg family dentist as well as, how teeth can become discolored in the first place.
Why Do Teeth Turn Yellow?
It probably comes as no surprise, that teeth can turn yellow or become discolored for a number of reasons. Here are some of the main reasons why a person’s teeth might become discolored:
- Age. As we get older, our teeth can yellow
- Poor dental hygiene
- Diets that are high in sugar, processed foods, and simple carbohydrates ● Consuming foods or drinks like red wine, coffee, dark-colored sodas, tea, blueberries, etc.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Side effects from certain medications
- Excessive fluoride consumption
- Chronic dry mouth
- Mouth trauma
Now that you have a better understanding of why your teeth may have become yellow or aren’t as white as they used to be, let’s look at some practical and natural ways to whiten them!
Natural Ways to Whiten Your Teeth at Home
Before attempting any of these treatment options, be sure to speak with your family dentist in Rexburg. Your dentist will have a better understanding of your unique dental needs and which of these whitening techniques will or won’t work for you.
Maintaining A Good Oral Hygiene Routine
First and foremost, in order to have and keep your teeth white, you must have an excellent oral hygiene routine that you follow every day. Brushing and flossing on a regular basis will help to prevent tooth and gum decay, remove stains, and protect the enamel of the teeth. A basic, good oral hygiene regimen includes:
- Brushing at least twice a day. It may be beneficial for some people to gently brush after snacks.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride. Fluoride has been proven to both fight and reverse tooth decay.
- Floss between teeth to remove plaque and food particle build-up.
Changing Your Diet
Another simple way that you can naturally whiten your teeth and reduce discoloration is by changing your diet. There are certain foods and drinks that you’ll want to consume sparingly, while others you’ll want to add into your diet to reap the benefits they offer. Changing your diet to brighten your smile often will include:
- Eat fruits and vegetables with higher water content.
- Chew on crunchy fruits and vegetables after a meal to increase saliva production. Eating these foods can also help to loosen any stuck food particles.
- Try to eliminate or reduce foods and drinks that cause staining like coffee, dark sodas, citrus fruits, and tea.
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products. Removing tobacco from your life goes beyond just having a beautiful smile; it will improve your overall health. Talk to your Rexburg family dentist about how you can quit smoking or using tobacco for good.
Along with maintaining good oral hygiene, and eating a healthy diet, some people use baking soda to naturally whiten their teeth. Baking soda has been found safe to remove stains on the surface of teeth. In addition to gently polishing stains from the surface of teeth, research suggests that baking soda may also be beneficial in fighting bacteria, the leading cause of plaque and tooth decay.
According to Arm and Hammer, the easiest method to help whiten your teeth using baking soda is to mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of water or roughly equal parts water and baking soda in a small bowl to make a thick paste.
Then apply the paste to your toothbrush and brush your teeth gently just like you would with toothpaste. Rinse your mouth afterward.
If you want to up the stain-fighting power of your baking soda, use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleach that when used under the supervision of your Rexburg dentist can help to whiten teeth.
For best results, use a mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (equal amounts) to brush your teeth for about one to two minutes twice a day for a week. This process should only be done occasionally and only after discussing this with your dentist since hydrogen peroxide can increase tooth sensitivity.
Regular Visits to Your Dentist
Finally, making and keeping regular dentist appointments is a key component to keeping your teeth healthy and your smile white. Regular checkups will help your Rexburg family dentist to catch any major issues from arising, such as gum disease or tooth decay. Additionally, many
dentists offer affordable cosmetic dentistry in the form of in-office teeth whitening that can help to get your teeth up to 5 shades whiter with just one visit!
For more information about keeping your teeth healthy and your smile beautiful, contact Eagle Rock Dental Care, our family dentistry practice located in Rexburg, ID. We want to help you and your family with all of their dental needs and will be with you every step of the way.
- Home Improvement
- Real Estate
- Self Improvement